20 / 50
Gallery wrapped, canvas prints.
The Castle was built by the Geraldines in the 14th Century. It stands on the 'Castle Green', the site of an old promontory coastal fort of the "Clann Conaire". In 1582, the castle had been acquired from the Geraldines by the Bonyon family. In 1583, William Og Bonyon lost the castle and lands due to his part in the Desmond Rebellion. In 1612, the castle and lands were granted to Thomas Fitzmaurice, 16th Lord of Kerry and Lixnaw, by the English King, James 6th. By 1783, Richard Hare was in possession of the castle. From 1923 onwards, the castle has gone under the care of the Office of Public Works. In the early hours of December 26th, 2000, the castle was struck by lightning. It was not repaired, but a section at the top north side of the wall was brutally slashed off and has not, as yet, been replaced.